Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mahala Kirkham Stoddard McLane

I've listed some of the surnames in my family tree in the sidebar. These aren't names that are related by marriage, but direct lines to me. There are some that I have a lot of information on, and others that I have relatively none.

Two of the names I'm not exactly sure which is the correct one. I have a Mahala McLane in my family tree. She was my great-great-great grandmother, married to Jacob McLane. I have found information that her maiden name was either Stoddard or Kirkham. I'm just not sure which one. I'm guessing that one is a maiden name and then the other is a married name, but that is just a guess. Possibly her first husband died and then she married Jacob McLane. She was Jacob's second wife. I also have conflicting information on where she was born, either Michigan or New York. The birthdate that I have for her is July 14, 1842 and I think she was probably born in Michigan.

Eventually she ended up in Oronoco, Olmsted Co., Minnesota, where she married Jacob McLane on May 14, 1865. She and Jacob went on to have nine children together:

Frank William McLane
16 FEB 1866 in Oronoco, Olmsted, Minnesota, USA

Catherine E. McLane
15 MAR 1867 in Minnesota

Francis Zelda McLane
15 AUG 1868 in Minnesota

Walter Lee McLane
5 MAR 1870 in Minnesota

Mark Gordon McLane
15 OCT 1871 in Minnesota

Frederick Jacob McLane
23 JUN 1873 in Oronoco, Olmsted, Minnesota, USA

Charlotte G. McLane
12 FEB 1875 in Minnesota

Mabel Zoe McLane
8 JUL 1878 in Dakota Territory, Bon Homme Co., SD

Paul Jay McLane
1 APR 1880 in Dakota Territory, Bon Homme Co., SD

In 1878, Mahala and Jacob moved the Dakota Territory in what is now Bon Homme Co., South Dakota. They raised most of their children there and I believe there are still direct decendants that live in the area. Mahala died on February 6, 1902 and is buried in Hitt Cemetery, Avon, Bon Homme Co., South Dakota, alongside Jacob, who died March 30, 1897 (b. May 9, 1823 NJ, OH or MN).

4 comments:

tara said...

Hello there I'm Tara and I'm in the process and have been searching for my biological parents in Bogota, Colombia South America and I was adopted from there and abandoned as well. I thought I try you out I just heard about you. I don't have any info. and it sounds like I don't have the correct info. if I have any. So if you could assist me any kind of way please with numbers and all, please let me know by emailing me at tbg_libra@yahoo.com


Thank you greatly appreciative,

Tara

Unknown said...

hello my name is michael Dykhorst Mahala (kirkham) McLane is also my 3rd great grandmother her son Frederick Jacob McLane is my 2nd Great grandfather please contact me.
michaeldykhorst_2011@hotmail.com

Uherka-Abels said...

Hello,

My name is Danica Uherka-Abels. My Grandmother Shirley Hayward Miller was just put into a nursing home and my Mother Deb Miller Uherka had to put things in order. She wasn't sure how to spell her Grandmother Maud McLane Hayward's maiden name. So I went looking and it landed me here. Mahala's son Mark Gordon married Ella Ann McNeeley. And they had Maud McLane who had Shirley Hayward who had Deb Miller who had me Danica Uherka-Abels who has Zander John Uherka-Abels.

Mark stayed in the area where he grew up Avon, South Dakota. Maud also stayed in Avon and raised 14 children. Shirley moved a few towns over to raise her family of three. My mother Deb married a man from a closer town to Avon and raised me.

Danica Uherka-Abels

chef.danica@gmail.com

Unknown said...

KIM,
Have you seen photos of Jacob and Mahala with their children?

let me know.

Michael Dykhorst
mdykhorst.familyhistory@gmail.com